Continuing the Homegrown Foods recipe challenge, here are two veggie side dishes you can do!
Be careful when you’re grating the beetroot- I wore gloves to prevent horrendous purple staining, and wear clothes you don’t mind getting stained, as the stuff flies everywhere! Or maybe I was just a numpty when I was grating 😛
Beetroot and cabbage coleslaw
- 1/4 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill (if available)
- 1 large beetroot, grated
- 1/2 large cabbage sliced thinly
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk yogurt, lemon juice, and dill in a medium bowl. Add beets and carrot and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
The following green bean recipe was amazing if I may toot my own horn. I honestly didn’t expect it to turn out as deliciously as it did. The key is the butter and generous seasoning!
Green beans with cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups cherry tomato halves
- Place beans and water in a large saucepan. Cover, and bring to a boil. Set heat to low, and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain off water, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in and lightly fry garlic, then add sugar, salt, pepper and basil. Add tomatoes, and cook stirring gently just until soft. Pour the tomato mixture over the green beans, and toss gently to blend.