Last two recipes from my Homegrown Foods marathon! Both are really simple, and you probably don’t even need to see my recipes to do them, especially the strawberry fruit salad! But here they are anyway:
Kai Lan with oyster sauce
(Sorry for bad photo- my presentation wasn’t exactly brilliant! But it’s the taste that counts!)
200 grams of medium sized Kai-lan
1 small, thinly sliced shallot (if you have or can find)
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Small pinch of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- Wash and soak whole leavy Kailan vegetables in lightly salted water for 15 minutes. Boil a medium pot of water over high flame. Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of sugar. Blanch Kailan in the boiling water for 1 – 2 minutes. Drain on a strainer and place on a serving dish.
- Heat wok with vegetable oil on medium heat, stir-fry shallot and garlic till fragrant and browned. Reduce heat to low fire when shallot and garlic are lightly browned to allow standing time. Sprinkle salt and pepper, followed by light soy sauce.
- Heat off and immediately pour onto the vegetables. Drizzle the sesame oil and oyster sauce. Serve.
Strawberry fruit salad
Handful of strawberries
1 Granny Smith apple
1 medium banana
- Slice the apple and banana into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Peel the orange, separate into segments, deseed and cut the sections into bite-sized pieces into the bowl.
- Remove the stems from the strawberries and slice them into the bowl.
- Mix, cover and store in the fridge or serve immediately.