If you have stopped to peruse this blog, it is probably because you are hungry, like I am, most of the time. Or you like to torture yourself with pictures of food and salivate over the computer, which is also what I like to do!
Hello and welcome to Chopstixfix! My name is Michelle Ng and I am a Brit-born, Penang and North London-raised, Chinese-Malaysian (very confusing I know, do try and keep up 😛 ). Just to add to the apparent exoticism of my upbringing and heritage, I am now living in Hong Kong, having relocated to this fine city in 2009.
What made me start Chopstixfix? After moving to HK and spending a good few months investigating all the culinary delights on offer and expanding my waistline, I decided to put my vast collection of food photos to use and create the blog in 2010 to keep a log of my gluttony and as a way of helping friends and family work out what they wanted to eat when they came to visit. Chopstixfix has now evolved to become my fairly serious but fun hobby where I give you my thoughts on restaurants, write about all kinds of food, (I am not averse to writing about biscuits or instant noodles) and other food-related activities and document my slapdash kitchen experiments.
Unless otherwise stated, all the meals, snacks and noodles are paid for by me. The views and opinions of the restaurants are mine only, and I am aware that not everyone will have the same taste-buds as me, so please bear that in mind!
Aside from Chopstixfix, I dabble in some freelance writing. To see where I have contributed, please see here.
Beyond the blog, you can also find me on:
Finally, few things about me:
- I spent the early part of my childhood in Penang, and as a result I love eating weird things like durian and intestines and I have a love affair with Assam Laksa.
- One of my favourite tipples is Amaretto Sours, though I have been known to knock back Jägerbombs with ease. If you ever find a bar that does good Amaretto Sours, please tell me!!
- Bacon is my best friend and my favourite part of a KFC meal is the chicken skin.
- I adore apple crumble.
- I love 80s music and will challenge anyone to an 80s karaoke sing-off.
- I ran the UNICEF half-marathon for the first, (and last) time in November 2012 and carbo-loaded the night before with Thanksgiving dinner and truffle mac’n’cheese.
- I am a bit of a Trekkie. Live long and prosper people!
- A school friend once called me the Human Dustbin because I used to eat her leftovers or anything that she did not like. Not the best nickname.
- I can make a pretty mean pea risotto.
- My Cantonese is terrible, but I like to think I sound ‘local’ when giving directions to my place to the taxi driver.